200 Hour Teacher Training
If you have been on the path of yoga, and have a desire to deepen your knowledge or share this practice with others, we are offering a teacher training program in a series of weekend immersions to give you a sound foundation to grow from. Earn your 200 Hour Yoga Alliance Certification in 11 weekends, or a 100 Hour Immersion.
We provide one of the best yoga teacher trainings in the Fredericksburg region with renowned guest teachers coming to share their knowledge with us. Lili Robins, E-RYT 500, C-IAYT, YACEP, will be joined by Lauren Rogers, RYT 500 and renowned guest teachers: Beloved Yoga’s Maryam Ovissi, E-RYT 500, RCYT, RPYT, C-IAYT, YACEP and Jafar Alexander E-RYT 500, RCYT, RPYT, YACEP; Mary Richards, E-RYT500, M.S., C-IAYT; Bobby Ducharme, E-RYT 500; Anne Petrov, E-RYT 500; Elizabeth Finnan, E-RYT500, C-IAYT, YACEP
This training will be divided into 2 segments of 100 hours each so students who are not interested in teaching yoga at this time will be able to attend the first half of this program to increase their understanding of Yoga. The guest workshops will be open to all interested yoga teachers for continuing education credits.
Our 100 Hour Immersion will journey through the History and Evolution and Branches of Yoga, dive into the Philosophy of the 8 Limbed Path and Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, explore experiential Yoga Anatomy, discover more about Asana/poses on a granular level with good foundation and alignment for the most safety and benefit, plus learn the foundations for teaching Yin, Chair, and other types of Yoga for varied populations. (Meeting weekends January 12th - March 23.)
The 200 Teacher Training includes the second 100 Hours and prepares students to become teachers with additional anatomy workshops, introduction to Ayurveda, discovery of the subtle body through Pranayama and the Chakras, and work with additional poses. Special focus will be given to Language and Cueing, Mirroring and Assisting, use of Props, and the Ethics and Business of Yoga. Additionally, students will receive one-on-one mentoring during the teacher prep time to give you the polish and confidence you need to share your knowledge with others in the seat of the teacher.
This program is certified by the Yoga Alliance and graduates receive their RYT200 Certification.
Yoga certification prices
We have an affordable Yoga Teacher Certification with a non-refundable deposit followed by 6 monthly installments on auto-draft. Should the trainee become unable to complete the training for unforeseen reasons beyond their control, a one-month notice before the next auto-draft cycle is required.
Prices for 100 Immersion: $1,362.50 includes the $400 non-refundable deposit plus two payments of $350 and one payment of 262.50 from January 1 - March 1.
Prices for 200 Teacher Training: $2500 includes the $400 non-refundable deposit plus 6 monthly payments of $350 from Jan. 1 - June 1.
Included in the tuition: The non-refundable deposit gives each student a 25-Class Pass to be used during their training, a binder and text pages that are distributed each training weekend. (The 25 class pass expires after 7 months.)
Attendance: Students are expected to attend all training sessions though we allow one weekend missed with notice and gathering of notes and assignments from fellow students. The 25 class pass should be used in a variety of classes from Gentle to Vinyasa for a well-rounded training.
"Thank you for all that you’ve taught me. The structure of the classes were organized and well thought out. The notebook handouts are something that I will review again and again. The exposure to different aspects of yoga and the wonderful workshops were valuable. I appreciate that the studio classes were open to YTT students and that the classes you taught often related to a YTT subject or idea. I have an appreciation for all of the time and energy you have lavished on us all." — Pat
Subjects and Texts
TEACHING METHODOLOGY: Techniques & Practicum
Students will . . .
• understand the key aspects of spinal movement and alignment
• understand the benefits, contraindications and customizations of asanas for varied populations
• learn the art of safe, intelligent sequencing, and how to design a balanced class
• learn the art of language, voice, and silence
• learn how to teach to varied learning styles and to safely assist
• learn about chanting, mantra and meditation and their physical and emotional benefits
• learn pranayama and kriya practices: when, how, and why to use them
• learn the foundations of Vinyasa, Yin, Chair, and Restorative Yoga
• observe, assist, create lesson plans, and practice teaching Yoga
• establish daily asana, meditation, and journaling practices
HISTORY, PHILOSOPHY & LINEAGES
Students will gain an understanding of . . .
• the history, lineage and evolution of Yoga
• Patanjali's Yoga Sutras and the Eight Limbs Path of Raja Yoga
• the Bhagavad Gita and branches and philosophy of Yoga
ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY
Students will gain an understanding of . . .
• anatomy for yoga teachers
• the systems of the body and the effect yoga has on them
• Ayurveda for overall wellness
• the subtle anatomy of the energy body through study of pranayama and the chakras
ETHICS & THE BUSINESS OF YOGA
Students will . . .
• learn about the business of Yoga and how to differentiate and promote brand and style of teaching
• understand the ethical guidelines and boundaries for yoga teachers including touch and assists
• gain an understanding of teaching with trauma sensitivity for group classes
Yamas & Niyamas - Deborah Adele
Bhagavad Gita - Stephen Mitchell
Yogabody, Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana - Judith Hanson Lasater
The Key Muscles of Yoga - Ray Long
Pilgrimage through Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras - Maryam Ovissi and Jafar Alexander
Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing - Vasant Lad
RECOMMENDED ADDITIONAL READING
Self-Awakening Yoga - Don Stapleton,
The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga - Bernie Clark
The 2019 Schedule
Saturdays & Sundays from 9:00 – 5:00 on the following weekends with guest teachers noted:
Jan 12, 13 — 13th - with Maryam Ovissi + Jafar Alexander: Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras
Jan 26, 27
Feb 9, 10 — 10th - Mary Richards: Anatomical Geography: Mapping the Bony Landmarks
Feb 23, 24 — 24th - Pranayama + Restorative Yoga
March 9, 10 — 10th - Bobby Ducharme: Self-Awakening Yoga March 23, 24 — Yin Yoga + Meditation / 24th - Mary Richards: Exploring the Axial Body; Mapping the Vertebral Column
April 6, 7 — 6th or 7th - Anne Petrov: Ayurveda: Theory and Practice
April 27, 28 — 27th - Maryam Ovissi: Bhagavad Gita / 28th - Elizabeth Finnan: Asana & the Chakras
May 4, 5 — 5th - Mary Richards: Butterflies in the Belly: Asana and the Inner Body
May 18-19 — Review - Team practice teaching
June 8 — Student teachers teach!
June 9th — Students attend Love Your Body Festival at the Reston Town Center
This teacher training program is for experienced students who have a strong desire to deepen their knowledge and understanding of this practice. Applicants should have a regular yoga practice, and have a strong interest in learning more about this ancient philosophy, practice and process. We recommend at least 2 years of continuous, steady practice of yoga (sometimes more to become a strong candidate) before applying for teacher training. If you are ready to take this next step, please fill out our application online.
• Keep a journal
• Practice at home and in the studio
• Take regular weekly classes at Art of Balance Yoga
• Observe 5 classes at local yoga studios and write brief summaries
• Complete readings and reflection papers
• Turn in all assignments and pay all fees
• Successfully teach one 75-minute karma class to guests of AoBY
Please complete an application and we'll schedule a time for you to come to the studio for a class and interview. Upon acceptance the deposit is due. This deposit pays for the binder of all the lessons and a 25 class pass.